Thursday, August 9, 2007

Denver - Day 2

Rockies baseball today! Mark came over around 10am and all us guys headed out to Coors Field to watch BP and hopefully hook up with Troy Tulowitzki. Troy is from Sunnyvale and we've known his family and siblings for a number of years. They were involved in SNLL and Connor played T-Ball with Troy's sister, Tiffany. Much to our disappointment, the Rockies did not take batting practice. We went down near the dugout to wait for Troy to come out for warm-ups. Logan and Grandma made a sign that said, "Hey Troy, I'm from Sunnyvale National. I'm friends with Bubba". Bubba is Troy's cousin that plays in the same league as Logan. So we're waiting and waiting, and it's getting really hot. About 20 minutes prior to the game, Troy comes running out to warm up and runs right by us. We tried to get his attention, but we weren't successful. He got out to the foul line to start running his sprints and looked over to where we were and he noticed Logan's sign, gave us a nod, and motioned that he'd be over in a few minutes. He came over, introduced himself, gave Connor a ball and signed some autographs for the boys. He stayed and talked baseball for a few minutes while he signed for the other people around us. Connor wouldn't show it , but I could tell he was impressed. Logan was his usual talkative self and really enjoyed it. It was a long, hot wait, but definitely worth it! Oh yeah, the Rockies killed the Brewers 19-4. We had to leave after 6 innings, and 2 1/2 hours. Long, hot game and we had no shade!

I had dinner with Mike & Barb, who I've know for over 10 years. I used to make yearly trips out to Denver to hang out with them and go to sporting events like the MLB & NHL All-Star games. After dinner, I went to play poker with Mike, Alec, Freddie & their friends. Their game is nothing like the game we play at home. They play no-limit and the pots are often over $75. Unfortunately, my night wasn't as successful as the Rockies day. All and all, it was a great day at the ballpark and the poker table.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Glad you are all having fun in Colorado. Sounds like you are feeling good. That is GREAT!!
Love You, Auntie

Anonymous said...

Hey Billy,
So glad you enjoyed your trip to Colorado! I guess you are all coming home tonight? I bet the week went by fast, sounds like you had a wonderful time and made great memories with all the family!
Love it that you are doing great!
I'll talk to you soon, off to Santa Cruz to see Pa-pa Doo Run Run with the family here.
Love to all, Tam xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi, Hear you all had a fun time in colorado. I bet Deb was happy to see her family home. Sometimes quiet is too quiet. Was happy to hear you were feeling pretty good. We have been staying indoors with the lights out and shades drawn for a few days with the hot wave we are having. 105 is too hot for me. Suppose to cool off to the 90's over the weekend. Love ya Auntie Barbara