Friday, January 30, 2009

Play Ball!

I know it's early, but Logan has been practicing for a couple of weeks and the SNLL season will be having tryouts tomorrow. I had planned on managing the Cubs again this season with my ever steady and reliable man Stephen Flores. Since I am under new treatment I did not want to not be available to the team, so Steve has taken it over but only on the basis that I be available for 'information and consulting' which I am more than happy to do.

Ok, the main reason for this blog entry, which may be lengthy, but is well justified to all who have been involved with LL Baseball or any sport with their child.

Last summer Brad came by for a visit and had this big, butcher paper wrapped item. He told me it was a gift and I should open it. It was a framed copy of my 12-year old baseball card, a plaque, and the actual score book pages from a 1980 game between the Metro Pirates (Brett, Brad & Mr. Gassaway) and the Metro Tigers (Me). Mr. Gassaway was the score keeper and assistant for the Pirates and for some unknown, awesome reason, still had all 3 years of Metro major baseball score books for the Pirates. Brad and I had a great time going through the 3 years of stats, remember guys we played with, whatever happened to so and so. It was a great time and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. On a side note, I do have Connor & Logan's books from the years that they were on the Cubs.


The thing that made this more special than any other set of game data was because it was from a game that I stuck out 16 of 18 batters on the Pirates team. The almost sad part is that I walked 5, gave up a couple of hits and our team made some errors. Luckily, we won 3-2. Brad would laugh if I didn't say this, but he had 1 of the hits against me that day. Brett had 3 k's.


This item from my past is now mounted in my bedroom office and I pass it many times a day, always remembering the fun we had playing sports and hanging out as kids. When Brad was here last week we had a conversation about how different kids are today. Another of our friends, Scott Campbell, was by last weekend and we had the same conversation that Brad and I had early. Scott also collected baseball cards like I did, and said that he still does today.


When we were 9-12/13, we'd get up at 8am over the summer, head out to the park, come home for dinner and then back out til dark. No cell phones, mp3 players or razor scooters. It's amazing we made it to adulthood without all those gadgets! I could go on forever, but I think you get the idea for what I'm trying to say.

I know that you are now all inspired so get out there with your kids, do what they like, and make some memories! Thanks for reading and Go Giants!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so remember you and your baseball cards. I remembeer being at Barb's and you having boxes, wasn't there a shop at Village Green that sold them or something. I also remember spending a lot of time watching your games. Carleen babysat me so I was always taggin' along to see you play. I agree things were so different when we were kids, as the kids get older there are some things I am glad they don't, or hope they don't, do! Best friends always know the perfect gifts that hit you right there don't they! I am sure you cherish the one from Brad, something you can brag to the boys about!

XOXOX

Denise

Barb said...

Hey Billy,
I have to say I agree with Denise. I too remember going out to your games all the time and watching you, Brad, Brett and Scott. (although WE probably went more to the snack shack than watched) What a great summertime memory.
Yes, the kids these days are doing things a little different but I am glad our boys all love to play the game!
But, the part of your blog that I love the most is that you and your friends who played ball together so long ago still get together for good times and laughs. There's nothing like a Best Friend...right Denise! Love to you all!
Barb

Anonymous said...

Things are different now and I do see a change in the way kids spend their free time. I am so glad that you all have such wonderful memories of your childhood. I guess my generation did an okay job. Love all of you and keep making those memories with each other and your families.

Anonymous said...

Bill, I'm glad you appreciate the gift. When I heard you talking about your best ever performance on the mound, and then later found the actual "Official" scorebook of the event, I couldn't resist. I just knew it belonged with you and your family. I still cherrish all of the other games chronicled in those scorebooks though... even though they prove I was not as good a player as I thought I was. Oh well... Thinking back on it the fondest memories of my youth are those long summer days when you, Scott, Les, Brett and me used to play stick-ball in Scott's backyard... steal tennis balls from the racquet club when our supply deminished and swim at the neighborhood pool. All day all summer... what a blast! Of course you were the one that figured out how to "trick" the tennis club into giving us free time on the ball machine so we could hit a few dozen tennis balls over the fence... remember that? Oh, and Scotty's penchant for bouncing on the diving board at the pool until it snapped... they must have replaced that board 5 times before finaly deciding to just remove it. Good Times!!!

Brad

MikeG said...

16ks- the curve must have been really breaking that day! The start of baseball season always makes me feel young, whether I am at Candlestick, Briarwood or Raynor - good times and great memories for all. Keep up the fight Billy and take care!