Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Here we go...........

Greetings from Deb........

Met with the surgeon today, and accomplished A LOT!!!! Surgery is set for Tuesday, 5/27 at 10:30am. We've been asked to arrive at 6am for a special Stealth Scan - this is where they insert a sphere looking head halo into/onto Bill's head. They take a scan and compare to the MRIs he's recently done. They watch all of these scans while they insert the instruments into the brain, through the halo and operate. Crazy thing here that we learned, Dr. Welsh actually needs to "unscrew" the existing plate and screws to get back into Bill's head - the skull doesn't heal over a craniotomy. Bill also gave a lot of blood today, took an EKG and a chest x-ray. The surgeon is consulting with a hematologist regarding the blood clots Bill had 3 months after his first surgery, to head anything off at the pass. We picked up a cd of all of Bill's MRIs, really interesting to see, if you know what the heck you're looking at!!!! :)

Sadly, for Bill, but good for the brain, he'll start the steroids on Sunday to manage any swelling of the brain. We'll register at the hospital this Friday and go through the all of the delights and laughs of insurance, documents, etc. The surgeon believes Bill will be out for around 6 weeks, but as the parents at last nights Cubs game said, they'd actually expect to see him out at the following baseball game, strategizing for post season play.

We'll be consulting with Dr. Tai regarding chemotherapy after surgery, I believe that a few different options will be available to him because he's categorized as a recurrent case. We'll see.

Bill's doing awesome, wrapping up stuff at work, managing his mini-cubbies, trying to manage our Tivo in order to have plenty to watch on TV when he gets home. We're excited to have Jane coming in a few days. Huge props to all of our friends and family that have thrown love/support/prayers our way - makes us feel like we're not alone with this.

Lastly, yes, we've heard about Ted Kennedy. Sen. Kennedy is still in the process of being leveled (3 or 4), Billy is a 4. Location of the tumor is different, where Bill's vision is the key area, surgery may or may not be an option for Sen. Kennedy due to his location. Sadly, it takes a famous person to bring this wicked disease into the forefront, but we're happy people are paying attention to it and hopefully getting the attention/resources it deserves.

I'm doing the best I can, we all are. There's an amazing song out right now by a band called 3 Doors Down, called, "It's Not My Time". If you get a chance, the YouTube video link is in the upper right. The videos keep changing, the only one that is music only is the video at the top. This speaks to Bill, he really heard the words the other day and said, they wrote the song just for him. Lyrics are here http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/3doorsdown/itsnotmytime.html. I'm scared, I don't say that out loud much, too damn busy, but it comes in waves. Our boys are doing the best they can, getting excited to wrap up school for the year! Per Bill's request, Logan just finished learning Interstate Love Song by STP, plays it nicely. Connor drove half way home from his baseball practice yesterday - he's doing really well and loves driving his little Honda vs. Bill's big rig.

Hopefully you'll see an update from Bill prior to surgery, otherwise, I'll be updating.

Peace out,

Deb

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Billy,
~ Deb thanks for the update.
I'm thinking of you all & sending you *love and positive thoughts*. As you have ALL along, be strong and keep your chin up! I'm wishing you strength for yourself, Deb and the boys. Please, if there is anything you guys need, driving the boys to games (Connor could practice driving in my car)?, movies(Billy has that covered with the Tivo I guess), anything - let us know... We love you all, hoping and praying all will be better soon. Talk to you next week, we'll be thinking of you on Tuesday and will come by.
Love, Tam & Joel xoxo
P.S. I'm going to Google the song now!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so now I've read the lyrics and tears are rolling down my face. You are so right Billy, this song was written for you! "It's not your time and you're not going anywhere,
there IS A WILL IN YOU and now it's gonna show"...
I LOVE YOU BILLY!
~ Love, Tam xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

hey Billy, Deb, Connor, Logan-

Wanted to let you know we are thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery this time just like last. I haven't listened to the lyrics to the song yet but by Tam's email I better get a tissue first.

Lots of prayers to you, we love you!

Denise

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Deb.....and all my positive thoughts and prayers are heading your way.

Love the lyrics to the song, I can see why Bill was so affected by it, as was I. I'm sure others feel the same way as I do - this news kicked the wind out of us for a bit, but as Bill will do, and I'm sure you will too, we all need to keep positive thoughts going and rebound.

Anonymous said...

hey gang, im off on tuesday, so if we need rides to school practice or anything else let me know... all prayers are in full throttle so keep it positive, stay strong we love you and we are never letting go....susie