Friday, March 20, 2009

Update 3/20/09......

We hope all is well with everyone. Wanted to update the blog with the latest news. The last MRI Bill had wasn't what we had hoped for. I'll spare everyone the details, but the bottom line is that things are spreading and continue to grow. The oncologist has recommended that Bill stop the 2nd chemotherapy that makes him really fatigued and effects his appetite. That chemo is clearly not working, and the benefits don't out weigh the harsh side effects. Currently, he does the infusion chemo every two weeks, this will really help with brain swelling, that's the benefit that is helpful for the cancer at this point.

Both neurosurgery and radiology have reviewed the scans, and all options they could offer don't make sense for Bill and the location of the new growths. Dr. Tai has made calls to UCSF and Duke University Hospital for any suggestions. But, Bill made it clear to his family and doctors that he didn't want "radical experimental clinical trials" with no guarantees, so we need to respect that.

So.......he's bored to tears being home, hates daytime TV and wishes he could be at work.... :)

Memory has been effected, some days he's very clear and other days are a bit harder on him. For those that have spoken to him recently, you may have seen a change.

He still checks email from time to time, but please don't send spam or lengthy emails, but do say hello if you feel so inclined. :)

I'm working from home as much as possible, but gotta keep my job!! :) Jane & Cheri will be here next week for a visit.....which is great.

Our boys are doing........ok - you can all guess how they're really doing. I'm......ok on most days, honestly, I can't believe how things really are - must be some sort of denial, still feeling a bit numb. Carpet finally getting down today (don't get me started on Lowe's!!) in the garage - yippee!!!

THANK you to everyone who continue to check in on us. I'll update soon!

Peace and gratitude,
Deb

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Deb, for the update! I am sad about the MRI results, you all keep staying strong and please lean on us when you can.
I may stop by over the weekend or when Cheri & A.J. come next week, so glad for that! I'll be saying hello to Billy on email... ok, talk to or see you guys soon. ALWAYS thinking of you all!
Love, Tam xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb- Thanks for taking the time to write. I wish there was something I could say or do that would make this all better...we love you guys!! xoxoxo

Denise :)

Anonymous said...

hey gang, have so many feelings that I dont know how to express, it's not what we were hoping for, and I feel mad about that, why does this happen is my big question?we are not by any means giving up hope!!! I dont know how you do it deb, I feel sick inside just knowing what billys going through, let us know if we can take any pain away for you and keep believing we could fight this!!! love to all susie

Anonymous said...

Morning Deb & Coach Bill,
What a great site to see, Coach Bill at Opening Day walking with the Cubbies like he has for sooo many yrs before. Cant wait for our first game. See you there Coach.
The Zuniga Clan

Darlene Z said...

Hi Bill and Family ~

I know you guys will fight the good fight and keep the positive juju going. My prayers and positive thoughts are with you.

I'm excited that you have a "Man Cave" and that sounds like a great place for hanging out. It's nice to get the kids out of their rooms - fosho!

I will drop Bill and email and see if he's up for a lunch outing. I will drop everything to come and see you if you are up to it!

I am always out here and not far away if you EVER need anything, altho that is one thing I can see you already have alot of - love and support.

Love Darlene