So, Bill asked me to update his blog for him - give everyone some reading material and to let everyone know we're doing well. Bill will have Chemo today, and for the first time, I won't drive him to the infusion appointment. Work has been pretty stressful for me, and I run around like a crazy woman a lot - so Bill decided to ask for some help - Thanks Uncle Mark!! I don't actually sit with Bill during the Chemo infusion because he's usually on his laptop and he hates having me just sit there and stare at him. Anyhow - I'll pick him up today when he's getting close to finishing, get some lunch and take him home. It's turned into a little routine, generally, we stop at the Day Old Bakery on our way home and get goodies for the weekend, then we eat lunch and finish the work day out from our living room....this everyone, is making lemonade out of lemons!!
We met with the oncologist on Tuesday....it was a great appointment. A LOT of what the Dr. says goes over our heads, but between the both of us, we retain a lot of information. Bill's doing great - and this has the Dr. confused/impressed. He's tolerating the chemo. extremely well. The big MRI will be on 9/29....then we'll meet with the surgeon and the oncologist to discuss next steps. This MRI is the one that the oncologist is most interested in, because it'll give us a measuring point to compare the last post-surgery MRI.
So - true to my personality, I generally come right out and ask the questions that are on my mind......like, what do we do if the tumor 1) shrunk 2) grew 3) stayed the same size. He walked us through the different recommendations he would make. He's pretty passionate about the fact that you can't stay on Chemo forever......he continues to say, at some point one will get into trouble with the poison they pump in the body...and Chemo isn't a vitamin you can just take as insurance. My gut tells me that it feels weird to do the "stop the chemo and wait and see what happens" approach, but he explained the reasons why he'd want to do that, and they do make sense.
The bottom line is that the Oncologist and the Surgeon plan to treat Bill for a long time, so we need to take the right approach.
Logan has been planning his birthday party, which we'll hold at our house next Saturday night. We're looking at about 20 8th graders at our house - woohoo!!! Logan clearly remembers the 13th birthday party we threw for Connor 3 years ago, and the magnitude of that party wasn't lost on Logan. We won't be doing a themed party the way we did for Connor (Casino night), instead we're looking at a ping pong tournament, Guitar Hero contest, games and food in our back yard, which we're turning into quite a lounge area.
Connor has been plugging away at school and guitar playing - he's very good, but still pretty subtle about his skills. I think he's pretty happy that the TV shows that he and his Dad watch are back on - their Tivo box is pretty full!
I'm SO EXCITED ABOUT FALL, my favorite time of year - so from my office window I'm able to watch the leaves began to turn colors and see the wind blow, I love the crisp air in the mornings too!!
All in all, we're doing well, keeping all the balls in the air, managing teenage angst, staying on top of everything and continue to be grateful for family and friends.
Love,
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks for the update Deb! Glad to hear that everyone is doing really well. I was thinking of you yesterday when I was driving through the neighborhood and saw that not one, but two, already have their Halloween decorations up! Really, people. Even you don't jump the gun like that! Oooh - the Day Old Bakery. Mom and I were just talking about the peanut butter crunchy bars covered in chocolate that we used to get as kids - do they still have those Billy? Eat one for me if they do. Looking forward to our trip next month! Love to all.
So glad for the details Deb as when I asked Billy about his appointment, he said it was good - more social talk than medical (and that was it)!
At work we have a monthly card club. Each month has a theme and for however many people sign up, you make the same card for each person. Of course, Septemeber's theme was "ghouls" so when I picked up my cards today, I mentioned to my co-worker that Halloween is my daughter-in-law's favorite holiday and I didn't know which card I would send her - they are all great - such talented people. I might have to send you several, Deb!
This would be the ideal time of year for you to come visit us, Debbie. We are going up to the mountains and take a train ride that goes along the river and into the hills to see all the fall colors. I wish you could come!! I'll take pictures.
Take lots of pictures of Logan's party so when we come in October we can see them. Oh boy - two teens!!
Can't wait to see all of you.
My love,
Mom/Grandma
Hi everyone ... remember me?
Even though I haven't posted anything in a while, I think of you OFTEN - like every day! I will see something that reminds me of you in some way or I will be upset about something and think "how would Debbie respond to this?" and realize that it's silly and not worth being upset about - life is too short and too precious!
Always great to hear about the doctor appointments. Even if the news is not that uplifting or unclear, you both have a way of looking at the bright side - at the tasty lemonade side of things!
This year has been a tough "teenage angst" year. I am learning that I should just keep my mouth shut as much as possible and not react to the attitude and mouth (unless lines are crossed, of course!) He has to argue with EVERYTHING I say ... aaaahhh!!!
We are doing girls volleyball now and of course, baseball! We only have 1 Half Moon Bay team this year for fall ball ... so we are spending a lot of time in Redwood City, Woodside, Menlo Park. It's good to be back though. We didn't do any tournaments over the summer.
Matthew has officially joined our youth worship team at church. He will be the drummer and rotate church services with another boy. His first time playing for an audience won't be until Jan/Feb. We need to get these boys together and start their own band! Who sings? Brittany? Jackie? :)
OK ... I've gone on long enough. I love you guys and can't wait to spend some time with you Deb on Girls Weekend!!!
BIG HUGS AND KISSES!
Steph
P.S. I don't have the Halloween decorations up -- but I do have the fall stuff up -- pumpkins and gourds all over the house! Fall is my favorite!
Hello-
I have to agree with Steph about thinking of you guys all the time. I believe you have touched so many people with your strength and possitive attitude. It makes us all want to be that way and look at life a bit differently. So many things are taken for granted.
Love you guys,
Denise
PS- not to make light of your teenage problems Steph, but thank god I wasn't the only one...whats with the attitude??? we never had that..he he
Post a Comment