Friday, July 25, 2008

Chemo day...........

Hi everyone - it's Deb here. Billy and I were talking about how he hadn't posted anything in a while, so I thought I'd write an update and let him fill in the spots with his own thoughts soon after.......stay tuned because we think he's found an amazing signature line that means a lot to him, should be good!!

I ran into work this morning after getting Bill all set up in his cozy chemo recliner. He had a conference call to take, so it would have been silly for me to sit there and watch him listen in on a call. So, here I update his site with a mini summary.

Over all, he's doing really great. One day of fatigue, but no other real issues. He did need to take an MRI yesterday, due to some tightening around his temples from last week.......which went away, but still to be cautious, they requested an MRI. We now play the waiting game on the results. The standard Thursday appointments prior to the Friday treatments are nice and boring. They all shake their heads at how well he's tolerating the treatment. The nurse pulled me aside this morning and said, "Is he really doing this well?", I said yep!!! At the last appointment he jokingly said, "are you giving me the placebo treatment and I just don't know it?" Pretty funny.

We're doing ok with everything else. We have plans to attend a concert this evening in Berkeley that we are very excited about. Since the boys were very young we've made every effort to attend music events as a family - Billy and I did this often before kids - and we vowed to pass on our love for music to the boys. Connor's first concert was while he was still in utero in 1992 - Whitesnake at Shoreline, I was 8 months pregnant! Anyhow - we plan to see Stone Temple Pilots, the original line up. Bill has said that he'll take a nap on the ride up if necessary, but he's committed to attend! Connor is just about done with Summer school and really looking forward to his week in CO. with our family out there for Katie/Christian's wedding. Logan.......well, he just plays guitar all day long. If Connor didn't have summer school, he'd be playing during the day also, but he gets in his afternoon jams daily as well.

I'm doing alright - had a great conversation with my husband the other day - which we forget to do from time to time. It's hard to be the strong caregiver all of the time and the last person I want to dump on is the guy with the actual health issues. He reminded me that I need to open up to him and about my fears/concerns/thoughts. It was nice. I lost it a bit this morning when I read that Randy Pausch passed away today......he wrote the amazing book called The Last Lecture, so inspiring and courageous - I learned a lot from that book about grace, gratitude and attitude. He did it right, we could all learn life lessons from that. Bill's got the same sort of attitude and philosophies and I'm so inspired and filled with a sense of pride for how Bill is managing the journey he's on......it gives me strength.

We have a new roof on the house that we're we love.......and Bill's 200,000 baseball cards are making their way off of the ping-pong table and back into the cabinets or donation pile. Next house project will be a total remodel of our bedroom bathroom - good times!!!

With baseball done, it's actually been kinda nice......I think the boys are getting anxious to get back to school. Work has been busy for both Bill and I (he started back this week), which is also nice. So for everyone out there - we're doing great!!! Thanks for all the good juju being sent our way. We'll update on the results of the MRI and I'm sure Bill will post soon!!!

Love and gratitude,
Deb

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey guys!

thanks for the update deb.

Have a blast at the concert tonight! i sure it will be fun!

XOXO

Denise

Bill said...

Wow! I am the luckiest guy I know. I have a wonderful wife and great kids.

Just like I never asked to be diagnosed with a brain tumor, Deb never asked to be responsible for me. She's right when she talks about us a couple, we don't seem to have talks about us, only about me and my health. We are remembering that we are husband and wife first, patient and caregiver second.

This makes me extremely happy because Deb, my wife, is so much more important to me!

Anonymous said...

thanks deb, always thinking of you guys, glad to hear good updates, makes us feel good(because you know it's all about us)rock out tonight with no worry's in sight, love to all...susie

Anonymous said...

You guys are an absolute inspiration! Thank you so much for creating this blog and keeping it current. I know you may feel like you have to come up with new material, but we just love to hear from you regardless what you say.
I'm still praying!
Kath (Kleinert)