From the 'Turkey Bowl' football games that we played at Inverness as kids to new traditions that we have as adults, Thanksgiving is a holiday about family and friends.
I was sitting here for over 5 minutes and have so much to say, but can't seem to get it started. I missed Brad & Brett's 40th b-day party last weekend, so I decided to call Brad for some inspiration. I wanted to see if he'd remember the Turkey Bowl games of the past. He did, so we reminisced and laughed about it.
Now it's been over 20 minutes and this is all I have. I type, then delete, type, delete. I have plenty to write, but can't get the words right. When I was diagnosed, I had no doubts that this tumor was not going to effect my life in a negative way. Again - type, delete, type, delete. This is the most time I've spent writing a blog and I'm only on paragraph three.
I am thankful for my health. Sounds silly, but things could be a lot worse for me. I am thankful for Deb, Connor and Logan. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect wife than Deb. She has made me the father and husband I am today. Connor and Logan have become wonderful young men this year, but they are also my little boys. I am thankful for my mother, Jane, who taught me to be a good person and helped me through trying times. I am thankful for my little sister, Cheri, who I treated as a little pest growing up, which is what brothers do. I am thankful for Frank (Papa), who is there for us whenever we need him.
I am thankful for Juan, who came into my life when I needed a father figure. I am thankful for Mark, who went from hockey teammate to brother-in-law. I am thankful for the MacArthur Munchkins; Taylor, Aidan & Colin.
If I tried to list everyone, this wouldn't be a blog, it would be a novel. I am thankful for all my family members, friends, co-workers, everyone involved in my life. Fred, Sandy and Ridge, I hope that you are feeling better!
It's been a very emotional, trying year for our family and I want to let everyone know how appreciative I am for everything you've done. Let's get ready for a better 2008!
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
happy thanksgiving!!! It is so funny how you sit back on this day and think of all the traditions, that everybody has,we put the olives on our fingers at the table we play aturkey bowl football game in the court with all the neighbor kids, and then we think of how thankful we are of are friends and family, im so thankful you are our friends it's been so much fun from giants games to weddings to 21 to 40th birthday partys memories are so fun to look back on and there so much more to come. keep the faith every day, I know we have a life time of friendship left.... susie
Nothing like a afternoon bawling session...why is it that we wait until holidays to express to the ones we love how much we really appriciate and love them? Kinda of a silly tradition, think of all the special moments we miss out on cause we are too focused on the meaningless do-te-dos of everyday bull-oney.
Your blogs have a way of making the rest of sit back and open our eyes to what loving and living is all about.
Lots of love,
Marcus, Denise, Saetia, Austin, Caleb and Donovan.
I know one Portola co-worker (and friend) who is thankful for you! You and Deb are truly an inspiration to us all and make me realize and think about what is really important in life. Thanks for not making me read instruction manuals! :)
ABS
OK Billy ... for someone that had to type, then delete, type and delete, you did an incredible job expressing yourself! I am cryin'!
We got back late last night (kids had Monday off from school)from Thanksgiving in Merced and then the cabin in Arnold. We had a very nice and relaxing time.
On Sunday morning Ray's Dad led us in a time of "sharing" and "thanksgiving". As the tears fell (as they often do when I talk about things close to my heart), your name come up as well as Deb and the boys. I could hardly speak as I talked about you guys to Ray's parents. I love your entire family so much!
My "thankful" thoughts led me back to highschool, after highschool, baseball games, weddings, babies, all-inclusive vacations, girls weekends, etc. and all the fun memories. It was almost impossible to think of a time in my "teen to adult" life where someone in your family wasn't in a memory of mine!
I give thanks to all of you for blessing my life so richly!!!!!
Steph
P.S. What's the New Year's plan?
YES, our family has so much to be thankful for. Everyone from the oldest (guess that's me turning 70) to our youngest 18 month old (that's my great grand daughter) have shared moments with each other. Happy,sad, lonesome or worried we all have someone who can comfort and understand us.
Thanks, Billy for sharing with everyone some of your inner feelings. We all know we our loved and appreciated but hearing it expressed is a wonderful feeling.
Billy, right now our family is focused on you and your family.Many thoughts and prayers are sent your way each day and hopefully you and your family know everyone of us is just a phone call or e-mail away. I love you all. Auntie Barbara
Hey Billy,
After reading your blog(with my kleenex) I was sitting here thinking what I am thankful for. There are a lot of things, but one thing that I really want you to know is that I am thankful for you, my cousin!! We have been close since we were little kids... playing hide and seek on the court,spending all saturday afternoon watching a double feature movie at the Hacienda Movies, through our teenage years,then as adults taking many trips with Deb and George to Tahoe, Reno, etc. until now raising our kids together. Not many people have the relationship with their cousins that we have and for this I am thankful.
I love you!!
Love
Barb
I have to agree with Barb with regards to both the Kleenex and the relationship we have as cousins. It is a very close one and I am proud of it! I tell my girls over and over again that their friends will come and go (no offense Denise, Steph, Susie, etc.)but your family will be there for you ALWAYS! I usually say sisters instead of family; but you get my point! Our family is the perfect example of that. I think we all know that if your friends won't answer the phone, you can always call someone in our family. I should know! ;o) Thank you for the well wishes Billy. My MRI came back clean and I am just trying to manage the symptoms and avoid stress; which for now means to stop working until Feb. Take care of you and let me know if you need a buddy during the day, now that I am home. Sandy
Billy - I am glad you are feeling better these days, your positive attitude and strong will has been your extended family is amazing-- a blessing, and I could not imagine my early adult years without them. Take care my friend, your are in my families thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment